Ann Saucer’s practice focuses on appellate advocacy and briefing in complex litigation. She has successfully argued before the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, the United States Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Texas Court of Appeals, Dallas, and federal and state trial courts across the country.
Ms. Saucer was a key author of the federal court briefing defending the rights of Fen Phen victims when the American Home Products Corp. (AHP) class action settlement was renegotiated. She has been a keynote speaker at Fen Phen litigation seminars.
Ann has also spoken and published articles on federal procedure issues. Her background covers the spectrum of environmental law, consumer protection, product liability and toxic torts.
Ms. Saucer graduated first in her class from Loyola University School of Law, New Orleans, in 1991. During that time she edited articles for the Loyola Law Review. After graduation Ann clerked for the Honorable Henry A. Politz, Chief Judge of the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, before joining a private practice in 1992.
After serving as a shareholder at both Silber Pearlman and Baron & Budd, Ms. Saucer now works in our commercial section, where she devotes her time to arguing complex legal issues in federal and state court, writing legal briefs, conducting legal research, and strategizing.
- Co-Author, All About Alternative Litigation Financing, 49:1 Trial 16 (January 2013).
- Author, Class Actions in the Fifth Circuit, 17 Miss. C.L. Rev. 255 (1997).
- Co-Author, Revised Rule 11: Is it Safer?, 15 Miss. C.L. Rev. 271 (1995).
- Co-Author, Federal Jurisdiction and Procedure, 40 Loy. L. Rev. 697 (1994).
- Co-Author, Federal Jurisdiction and Procedure, 39 Loy. L. Rev. 497 (1993).
- Author, Federal Procedure Update, Fifth Circuit Reporter, Quarterly articles published 1992 — 1997.
- Author, MBank Alamo National Association v. Raytheon Co.: A Strict Interpretation of Article Nine’s Purchase Money Security Interest, 36, Loy. L. Rev. 501 (1990).
Successful Oral Arguments
- Argued on behalf of the State of Mississippi and won reversal of the trial court’s judgment. Hood ex rel. Miss. v. JP Morgan Chase & Co., 737 F.3d 78 (5th Cir. 2013).
- Argued on behalf of the State of Hawaii and won reversal of the trial court’s judgment. State of Hawaii v. HSBC Bank Nevada, N.A., 761 F.3d 1027 (9th Cir. 2014).
- Argued on behalf of a mesothelioma victim and other plaintiffs injured by asbestos, and won reversal of the trial court’s dismissal of the plaintiffs’ cases. Sewell v. Owens-Corning Fiberglass Corp., No. 05-97-1136-CV, 2000 Tex. App. LEXIS 5955 (Tex. App. – Dallas, Aug. 31, 2000).
- Argued on behalf of the State of West Virginia and won a favorable opinion in a complex case addressing procedural issues and banking regulations. West Virginia ex rel. McGraw v. JPMorgan Chase & Co., 842 F. Supp. 2d 984(S.D. W. Va. 2012).
- Other representative legal experience includes arguing before the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals in the In re Katrina litigation, and extensive briefing in the In reFen-Phen MDL.
- Update on Fen-Phen Appeals, Mealey’s Fen-Phen Litigation Conference (2003)
- Update on Fen-Phen Appeals, Williams/Petroff Fen-Phen Seminar (2003)
- Preserving Error for Appeal to the United States Fifth Circuit, Dallas Bar Association Labor Section (1998)
- 6th Annual Conference of State and Federal Appeals, University of Texas School of Law (1996)
- 11th Annual Fifth Circuit Appellate Practice and Advocacy Seminar, Fifth Circuit Bar (1996)
- 11th Annual Advanced Personal Injury Law Course, State Bar of Texas (1995)
- 10th Annual Fifth Circuit Appellate Practice and Advocacy Seminar, Fifth Circuit Bar (1995)
Loyola University School of Law, Juris Doctorate, summa cum laude, 1991 (Articles Editor, Loyola Law Review, 1990-1991)
University of New Orleans, Bachelor of Science (Chemistry), 1985
Top 100 Civil Plaintiff Trial Lawyers (National Trial Lawyers, 2017)
Bar & Court Admissions
U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court – Western District of Louisiana
U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Louisiana
U.S. District Court – Northern District of Texas
U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Texas