Residents of Fayetteville, North Carolina recently learned that The Chemours Company and DuPont may have contaminated the groundwater near the Fayetteville Works plant with dangerous perfluorinated chemicals (PFCs), including PFOA, PFOS, and GenX. Certain private drinking water wells may be affected by this contamination.
The Environmental Litigation Group at Baron & Budd is currently meeting with local residents to learn more about the concentration of potential contaminants in area groundwater. Our environmental attorneys are talking to property owners in Cumberland County and Bladen County who use private wells for water and live near the Fayetteville Works facility.
PFCs, such as PFOS and PFOA, are toxic and have been linked to severe health complications, including kidney cancer, testicular cancer, thyroid disease, ulcerative colitis, gestational hypertension, and high cholesterol. Gen X may also have similar health effects. Unfortunately, these chemicals may have leaked into the groundwater around the DuPont/Chemours plant, potentially causing serious problems for people who live in the affected area.
Many residents are coming forward with concerns about their private well water. If you live in Cumberland or Bladen County near the Fayetteville Works plant and use a private well water, please contact Baron & Budd to learn more about your legal options. If your well has been tested, we can help you decipher the results. If your well has not been tested, we can help you get it tested. Call the Environmental Litigation Group at 866-364-6376 or complete our contact form.
Perfluorinated Chemicals (PFCs)
- PFOA (C8) ― Perfluorooctanoic acid
- PFOS (C8) ― Perfluorooctane sulfonic acid
- PFPrOPrA (C6, GenX) ― 2,3,3,3-Tetrafluoro-2-(1,1,2,2,3,3,3,-heptafluoropropoxy)-propanoic acid
- Nafion Byproducts 1 and 2 (C7)
- PFNA ― Perfluorononaoic acid
- PFDA ― Perfluorodecanoic acid
- PFOSA (FOSA) ― Perfluorooctane sulfonaminde
- MeFOSAA (Me-PFOSA-AcOH) ― 2-(N-Methly-perfluorooctane sulfonamido) acetic acid
- Et-FOSAA (Et-PFOSA-AcOH) ― 2-(N-Ethyl-perfluorooctane sulfonamido) acetic acid
- PFHxS ― Perfluorohexane sulfonic acid
Perfluoroalkyl Ether Carboxylic Acids (PFECAs)